Tuesday, April 21, 2009

SECRET INGREDIENTS FINALLY REVEALED

One of my philosophy's is pay attention and listen for simple truths. Simple truths are those things that are already innately built inside of us, but we must sometimes be observant, open, and clear in our minds to fully understand.

My simple truth for this week came from an unlikely source. It came at about 9pm last night after a 12 hour work day. I found this simple truth while watching "Kung Fu Panda."

It was an "aha" moment for me. Not because I didn't already know it, but because it is something that I try to instill in my athletes and those around me, but was put in such a simple, teachable way. It's the Secret Ingredients of Success.

It's not a new secret way to run faster. It isn't a new machine that makes you jump higher. It's not a new pill that increases your strength. It's not "P90X" or the "Perfect Push-Up."

Po, the Kung Fu Panda was enlightend by an unlikely circumstance when his father Shifu (who passionatley sold noodles to the people in town and claimed to have a secret ingredient), said to him,

"I think it's time I told you something, I've been needing to tell you for a long time."

He went on to say, "I'm finally going to give you the secret ingredient to my noodles."

Now with Po and myself sitting in suspense Shifu said in a loud tone,"Nothing--the secret ingredient is nothing!"

Po, with looking confused, remarked, "Huh, it's just plain old noodle soup, there is no special sauce or anything?"

His Father then hit him with this simple truth gem; "Don't have to. To make something special, you just have to believe it's special."

Wow--with my eyes halfway open, I suddenly felt and looked wide-eyed just like the Panda that was standing across from me on my TV. At that point, the Kung Fu Panda who earlier said that he sucked at kung fu more than anyone in the history of those whose sucked, finally understood a simple truth that changed his life and the outcome of the story.

There is no special ingredients to being successful as an athlete. There is only how much you believe in yourself. There is only how much you believe in your team and your teammates. There is only how much you love and have a passion for what you do. And there is only how much you really want it. No special ingredient, just believe.

95% of us were not born with incredible athletic or scholastic talent. But choose to believe you are equipped with everything you need to make an impact, to do something special, usually succeed. And choose to have believe that it is important, it is fun, and it is special.

Be ready to take critisism from those who do not believe. But as I love to say, "If you're not being criticized, you're not doing anything."

Let your belief squash the petty and mindless criticisms of others.

Critics will remain miserable looking for the secret ingredient. And only because they envy you, will they criticize you. If critics believed in themselves, they wouldn't have to talk about you.

Love something so much it comes alive. Believe in something so much it becomes a magnet to others because of your attitude and passion for it.

Remember this week. There is no secret ingredients. There is only how much you believe in yourself, in your teammates, and in what you do. Try this and like the fat, clumsy, face-stuffing, Kung Fu Panda, you will start kicking some butt.

No comments: